Monday, June 4, 2007

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer!

Ever had one of those days where Speed Racer follows you everywhere?

First I learn, via Boing Boing, that Andy and Larry Wachowski (yes, the The Matrix guys) will be directing a live-action Speed Racer film. USA Today has an article with a pic of the movie's Mach-5 in all its awesomeness.

Second, I was driving past a currency exchange and I saw a woman dressed as the Mach-5.



I stopped to ask her about the costume. She'd gotten it from the main office as part of their promote for renewing Chicago city stickers. So I spoke with people until someone tracked down the box that the costume came in. (Obsess much, J.R.?) It's part of costume #4100 by Rasta Imposta. #4104 is Racer X and #4106 is Trixey. Not sure what the missing numbers in the sequence are. Discontinued Spritle, maybe?

Third, I've been sorting through DVDs and I found the Speed Racer volume 2 - Episodes 12-23 (1967) DVD that my brother's family gave me for Christmas. (Hint to family: I still need volumes 1, 3, 4 and 5.) The box makes noise! Listen:



I'm really looking forward to the Speed Racer film. The acting line-up, so far:


1960s Original

2008 Film


Trixie

Christina Ricci

Racer X

Matthew Fox

Speed Racer

Emile Hirsch

Mom Racer

Susan Sarandon

Pops Racer

John Goodman

Sparkie

Kick Gurry

Spritle and Chim Chim

?

Mach-5

Mach-5

No comments: