Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Banjo versus TV: Week 4

Banjo 34 hrs, TV 27 hours
A weekly check-in on the Banjo versus TV project -- J.R.'s resolution to spend more time in 2008 on his banjo than on TV.

My car's onboard computer decided to feign an illness this last week, so I missed my banjo lesson while I had the shop look at the problem. (A shout-out to the good people at Grossinger Toyota in Skokie, who didn't charge me a dime for what turned out to be nothing.)

Also in the last week:

  • Encountered my first evidence that this project has made me a more discriminating TV viewer. I was 10 minutes into the episode #3 of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles when I realized that I was wasting my time. I wiped the past and future episodes from my DVR and picked up the banjo.
  • Have enjoyed listening to a borrowed CD set: Bluegrass Bonanza. Thanks, Grant!
  • Also great listening (and free!): The podcasts at The Banjo Hangout. I've been listening to hours and hours of banjo music on my new, cheap ($9.99!) MP3 player.
  • Attended the Lincoln Restaurant's banjo night for the first -- and not the last -- time.

No comments: