Thursday, June 5, 2008

Banjo versus TV: Week 22

Banjo 147 hrs, TV 138 hours
A weekly check-in on the Banjo versus TV project — J.R.'s resolution to spend more time in 2008 on his banjo than on TV.

The numbers will tell you that my last three weeks have been light on the banjo, averaging only 4 hours per week of banjo time. That's half my usual pace. But I think this has been an important period in my banjo study, because I've been thinking.

Here are some of the things I've realized – most of which Mike has been trying to get me to learn for a while:

  • I really enjoyed my sister's jam party a few weeks ago. It was nice, being able to keep up with the other players.
  • Most of a banjo player's time will be spent accompanying, but that's not what I've been concentrating on.
  • I've been training myself to be like a player piano. I'll pick a song out of my books and practice the tab from beginning to end. That makes for a pleasant tune, but it doesn't make me very flexible.

OK, so I've had a realization or two. What am I going to do about it?

Also in the last week:

No comments: