Thursday, July 10, 2008

Banjo versus TV: Week 27

A weekly check-in on the Banjo versus TV project — J.R.'s resolution to spend more time in 2008 on his banjo than on TV.
Banjo 197 hrs, TV 164 hours

I think I've found my new banjo teacher. Dave comes highly recommended by some folks I know in the local music scene. He's got a great bluegrass style and he's the go-to guy for the local jam schedules. Dave and I arranged to meet at a local jam (first Tuesday of the month at the Red Line Bar), which gave us a chance to size each other up. Apparently I passed Dave's sniff test. We'll be talking terms and schedules soon.

Also in the last week:

  • Lately I've been a little stuck, banjo-wise. I think the decision to change banjo teachers threw me for a loop. Combine that with a couple of other projects and you get what I've had the last few weeks: not much banjo time. So I took the banjo along on a Fourth of July weekend trip. I practiced at rest stops...

    ...and I was able to demonstrate the banjo...

    ...to some of my musically-inclined relatives. (Banjovangelism, I call it.) That did the trick. All unstuck.
  • I got to a jam session without my capo and I had the chance to use the improvised rubber-band-and-a-pencil capo I'd read about in Earl's book.
  • I created a banjo mute out of a $1.47 foam paintbrush. This one deserves its own post, which I'll get to soon.

No comments: